Now that we are in the final stretch of the week! This past weekend we visited family in Pinehurst, NC and it was so much fun to see where the 2014 US Open Golf Tournament was! I literally could stand on the 18th hole. Put out of fear of being kicked out I didn’t. Went shopping in some of the most fabulous places however the price tags were a different story but all the same I was able to find something for my mom which was the ultimate goal. This weekend I will be in Lebanon, PA to go to a food show with my mom for our store Mattie’s Pantry. I honestly can’t wait to see what all is going to go on!
Anyways, on to the best part, the FOOD! Last night I probably made the best gravy ever! I made Steak in my skillet along with mushroom gravy. It was quite a treat considering steak is my down fall. I usually have to cut steak up to get it to cook the way I want it to. I feel as after last night I could master it pretty easily! The gravy was gluten free and paleo which is probably the pest thing to me. It was still rich with flavor and tasted prefect over the steak and potatoes.
Skillet Steak and Mushroom Gravy:
3-4 strips of steak (your choice)
3-4 Tbsp of Coconut oil (Put in microwave to melt)
1-2 Tbsp Steak Seasoning of your choice
at least 2 cups Beef broth (I used mushroom water too)
at least 2 Tbsp Tapioca Starch
8 oz of Mushrooms ( I used dried ones that you need to reconstitute)
I preheated my oven to 400 degrees and let my skillet warm up with it. While I was doing that I was getting my mushroom ready. I used dried mushrooms that you reconstitute with hot water. I did this because I wanted to use some of the water from it in my gravy. If you don’t have or want to do dried mushrooms just simply using beef broth is fine! I cleaned my steaks and seasoned them with a Montana Steak Seasoning (Made with unrefined sea salt) I then pour my coconut oil over my steaks (Do this instead of pouring the coconut oil over you pan first).
When the pan has been in for about 15 to 20 minutes take out of the oven and put on a stove burner. Then take you steaks and put the top side down on the pan and season the other side while it is cooking. Give it about 3-4 minutes on each side at least. This will give a good medium cook. I did mine about 5-6 minutes because I am the type of person who does not like my steak to moo. (Not even a little bit!)
While your steak is cooking take your cups of broth and tapioca starch and put them in a sauce pan. Stir in the starch and put on medium heat and let boil and make sure to stir. It will thicken into a gravy consistency. I used 3 cups of broth to 3 Tbsp of starch. If you want to have it less thick just add more broth.
Put your mushrooms in the pan with the steak about 3-4 minutes in and let them fry up. Meanwhile, put your oven on the lowest setting it will go. (I have a warm setting on my oven) When gravy and steak is done put in the oven so that you can make your sides! It will continue to cook in the oven especially if that skillet is still hot. Serve warm over rice, mash potatoes, baked potatoes, sweet potatoes, veggies or just about anything! It is a dish to make for several people or just yourself!
- 3-4 strips of steak (your choice)
- 3-4 Tbsp of Coconut oil (Put in microwave to melt)
- 1-2 Tbsp Steak Seasoning of your choice
- at least 2 cups Beef broth (I used mushroom water too)
- at least 2 Tbsp Tapioca Starch
- 8 oz of Mushrooms ( I used dried ones that you need to reconstitute)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and let skillet warm up with it. Wash mushrooms and steaks and season steaks with seasoning. Slice mushrooms and set aside. When skillet has been in oven for 15-20 minutes take out and set on burner (medium heat). pour melted coconut oil over steaks and put top facing down on skillet. Let sit on each side for at 4 minutes (5-6 minutes on each side if wanting it more done). Put mushrooms in same pan as steak and let cook.
- Take your broth and tapioca starch and mix in sauce pan keep stirring and bring to boil and then it simmer (if you want more gravy add 1 cup broth to 1 Tbsp Tapioca starch). Let thicken. if you want it less thick add more broth. Once steak is done and gravy is the consistency you want pour gravy over steak and mushrooms and place in oven on warm setting (175 degrees fahrenheit). Cook sides while in oven.
- It will cook more in the oven especially if the skillet is hot. Take that into consideration when cooking in burner.
I hope you all have a great rest of your week!
Have a blessed Day!